Pasākumu kalendārs
<< Augusts 2017 >>
POTCPSSv.
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031
A  A  A
Lapas karte














Cesis Municipality » Cesis Municipality in facts

Cesis municipality in numbers and facts

History of Cesis city:
1206 - First mentions of ancient Cesis inhabitants in Riekstu castle hill in Livonian chronicles. Name of these people Vendi gave was the base for German name of the city – Wenden. This year is considered as the year of establishing of Cesis city.
1237 – 1239 – First master of Livonian Order chooses Cesis castle as his residence. Cesis becomes the capital city of Livonia.
1281-1284 – Cesis St. Janis church is being built. It is the biggest medieval church in Latvia outside Riga.
1323 – Cesis gets the city status (Since this year Cesis coat of arms appears)
14th – 16th century – Cesis is one of the participants of Hanseatic League
1748 – Last big fire in history of city happens and destroys almost all city including city archive in the Seat of local government.
1889 – Railway line Riga – Valka is built near Cesis
1897 – First telephone line in Cesis is created
1919 – In June near Cesis fights between Baltische Landeswehr and Latvian-Estonian forces happen. Cesis Student Company is participating also. Germans are being defeated and chances for creating independent Latvian and Estonian country appears.
1920 – 1940 – Cesis is a center of one of districts of Latvian Republic, tourisms and winter sports center.
1988 – First time during the Russian occupation Latvian flag is put on tower of Cesis castle. Cesis is the first city in Latvia where flag was raised again.
1998 – Victory monument, which was destroyed in 1951, is renewed
2004 – Building of Cesis Sports hall
2006 – Celebration of 800 years of Cesis, new elementary school is being built
2007 – First Cesis Art festival, “Fonoklubs” starts its work, the first Children rights trail in Lativa opened, the first municipality house with social flats built, while reconstruction of Rozu area unique pieces of 13 century wooden building is found, now it's the oldest wooden building known in Cesis.
2008/2009 – Cesis – candidate European capital of culture 2014 title
2009 – New kinder garden built 

History of Vaive:
1770 – Catherine II gives Lode manor to general Otto von Weisman, from which the name of Veismanu manor apperars
1869 – New building of parish built. In 1871 near it starts the building of school
1925 – Veismanu parish renamed to Vaive parish
1976 – Creation of Baltic machines test station
1990 – Vaive parish starts to work again

In 2009 Vaive parish and Cesis city united in Cesis municipality

Distances
 
Cesis – Riga - 87 km
Cesis – Russian border – 193 km
Reachability
Autoroute Riga – Valka – St. Petersburgh
Autoroute  Riga – Pskov
Railway Riga – Valka
Aerodrome for small flying machines “Priekuli”
​Territory

Territory of district – 171.73 km2
Cesis city – 19.28 km2
Vaive rural territory – 152.45 km2
Cesis district consists of Cesis city and Vaive rural territory
Distance from the most far part of Vaive rural territory to Cesis city is 25 km
Biggest part of district is forests – 50 %, agricultural land – 34 %/ In Vaive parish forests take 56%, agricultural land – 34%.

In Cesis are situated
5 parks, three of them are under protection of state as cultural heritage
2,4 km2 of Old city
1,8 km2 of Gauja National park
Protected nature territory of local importance “Cēsu dabas un kultūrvēsturiskais parks” (“Cesis park of nature and history”)
123,013 km of streets
10 water ponds
114 monuments of culture and history of local importance
In Cesis are 25 cultural minuments under the protection of state:
  1 city building monument
  5 arheological monument
  3 history monument
  9 architecture monument 
  7 art monuments

Inhabitants

Inhabitants in Cesis district –  19 275
Cesis city – 18234 (91%)
Vaive parish – 1 602 (9%)
Population density – 116 pople on km2

Citizenship
Citizens of Latvia 94%
Non – citizens 5%
Other 1%

Nationalities
Latvians 85%
Russians 10%
Belarussians 1%
Other  4%

Administration
 
15 City council members (elected in June 2013)
Term of election – 4 years

Print